The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: continental climate
54 messages
Select a forum:
ftc.....

:o)

I said:
>we've always been on the edge of Western Europe.

You replied:
"Platetechtonics aside, the above is correct."

If "the above is correct" then why mention plate tectonics? They have no bearing on what we are discussing, which is very recent history in geological terms.

I said:
>The North Atlantic Conveyor did not switch off in recent prehistory.

You replied:
"I don't think that I said it did."

Well, what you did say was:"the North Atlantic Salinity Currents (conveyor) may be changing once again and this would result in much colder seas surrounding our islands...."

Which is not necessarily true. However, if it had switched off then the result would have been what you stated.

You said:
You seem to not like the use of 'continental style' as a description of our climate 5,000 years ago.

You seem to have entirely missed my point. Continental type climates occur within continents, not usually on islands bordering a continent. I don't care what term is used, along as it's correct.

You asked of me:
"Anyway, let's hear your explanation as to why the weather changed at the end of the circle building neolithic period. Or do you believe that it hasn't?

As far as I am aware, there was no "end of the circle building neolithic period". Circle building continued into the Bronze Age. I have no explanation for the apparent rise in temperature around the end of the Neolithic/early Bronze Age, or the wetter, colder weather during the Iron Age.

I don't want to be drawn into a pedantic debate, ftc.

Baz

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
1st July 2005ce
00:35

In reply to:

Re: continental climate (follow that cow)

1 reply:

Re: continental climate (follow that cow)

Messages in this topic: