The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wallington Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
Wallington Hall
Re: Wallington stone
56 messages
Select a forum:
Well there's a tumulus at NZ074769 that probably belonged to the circle at Black Heddon. That's uninvestigated. And I think there is a Hallington and a Wallington Hall - I need to look on the old 1" map. I'll get to the Local Studies and take a look at Tomlinson - get all his lore - but there is a strong feeling that there's more there. From the Poind and the Man there's a stone on the horizon, to the east, that is unvisited - on the map. An aerial photograph taking during the dryest period of the summer would show a fair bit.

I'll open the archaeos' letter on May Day. It's about Kirkhaugh circle. Perhaps they will say it's an old carpark. There'd be a fair bit of support for putting the Poind's men back together - and I'm sure there'll be small bits lost and associated with the now-destroyed double circle at Black Heddon. It had a central tall monolith allegedly. That may be about and incorporated into a farm building somewhere.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
29th April 2005ce
12:26

In reply to:

Re: Wallington stone (Hob)

1 reply:

Re: Wallington stone (Hob)

Messages in this topic: