The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wallington Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
Wallington Hall
Re: Wallington stone
56 messages
Select a forum:
At the Poind and her Man there was previously a rectangular enclosure in stone that was removed sometime during agricultural improvement. It's suggested that the term was Pound originally and that it referred to this now-lost rectangle. I prefer the explanation that the name refers to the shapely mound and was 'poond' a colloquial term for the Mound of Venus.

Tomlinson, I'm fairly sure, recounts that there were two men beside the poond, not long before his time, and that one was removed to (and this is what I remember) the front of Hallington Hall. My summer fieldwork at the Knar, starts two weeks today, will take all my time until well into October. Every ounce of my physical strength will go into building that structure known to Google as Line!! and in recording that work.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
27th April 2005ce
09:09

In reply to:

Re: Wallington stone (Hob)

Messages in this topic: