The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wallington Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
Wallington Hall
Re: Wallington stone
56 messages
Select a forum:
They're not carved, but they may have once been used for axe grinding/smoothing, but if so, I think it was before they were stood up.

You're right SL, the Wallington stone was moved from about 6m NE of the Poind. I suspect Middleton was originally nearer the Poind too, but only got half way before the romany stone-shifters realised they weren't going to be paid extra. The Trevelyans of Wallington were pals with the Swinburnes, and robably felt they needed an 'Ancient British menhir' to keep up with the Joneses. They hung about with Pre-Raphaelites, which probably didn't help.

A couple of other snippets that may interest you in your ponderings:

1) A bit of literal trans from Bede implies that 'Poind/Poond' may have referred to the stars known today as Libra. (Apparently. I don't speak Saxon, so don't take my word for it)

2) It was that Capability Brown character who was responsible for the destruction of Nunwick circle.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
26th April 2005ce
22:24

In reply to:

Wallington stone (StoneLifter)

3 replies:

Re: Wallington stone (wideford)
Re: Wallington stone (rocknicker)
Re: Wallington stone (StoneLifter)

Messages in this topic: