The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Re: Etymology of Maeshowe: Update & Answer?...
85 messages
Select a forum:
>>>Speaking personally, all this debate just fuels my excitement. Mrs Wild Wooder and I will be visiting Maes Howe and other parts of neolithic Orkney in just over two weeks time. Can't wait. <<<

Have a fantastic time, I was there for 2 weeks in August, it's a very special place, you'll love it :-)
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9519262

The Smithfield Hotel in Dounby had just changed hands when I was there, excellent very tasty veggie and non-veggie food, plenty to eat, friendly staff and not too expensive.

The fuel was cheaper in Dounby and Dounby stores next to the filling station is big and very well-stocked.

If you want anything organic, take it with you, it's not easy to find. The Somerfield in Kirkwall ( the only big supermarket on Mainland ) don't even do organic bread.

The Standing Stones Hotel in Stenness had also just changed hands but they were very "offit" so we just had one bar-meal there.

Julia's Bistro in Stromness straight outside the ferry terminal has a varied manu.

You may just catch Gerri's Ice Cream Parlour on the main Stromness to Stenness road, opposite side of the road to the filling station in Stenness, beside the bus stop, there's a lovely selection of Orkney ice-creams, I dare you to try the Stenness Monster :-)

Rune

Reply | with quote
Rune
Posted by Rune
16th September 2005ce
12:40

Messages in this topic: