The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Re: Pretanike-Britain, Breton, Prythain or Picti?
85 messages
Select a forum:
Interesting question ftc and not only cant I answer it but I can also feel myself going off at a tangent. However, there's a fascinating little book called Legendary Landscapes* that might help (and even if it doesn't it's good reading :-)

J D Wakefield, the author writes, "... ancient Greek authors frequently wrote of a nation of people they called the 'Hyperboreans' who sent gifts of first fruits to the island of Delos. The Hyperboreans or 'dwellers beyond the north wind' had a long-standing religious order who were intimately connected with Delos and Delphi. In Grecian mythology Latona the Hyperborean gave birth to Apollo, the god of light under a palm tree at Delos. The etymology of Apollo's name is uncertain but it is highly probable that he too originated in Hyperborea."

In other words Wakefield is suggesting that Apollo is the British Sun God (I think :-).

Right, I don't really know what the f*** I'm on about so I'm off to the Dark and Silent Gate that waits on my pillow before a new and warm Beltane.

* Legendary Landscapes: Secrets of Ancient Wiltshire Revealed. ISBN 09536301-0-02. pp 85-86.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
30th April 2005ce
23:44

Messages in this topic: