The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Tony Grist: Henge, barrow and midsummer hill
963 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
LS,
The verse you quote in your reply to Nigel Swift is indeed a vivid allegory of summer giving way to autumn and the turning of the year - I have re-read this poem a few times but cannot fathom what the symbolism of child sacrifice would be - and I'm not sure if it is based on historical fact (maybe I just don't want it to be). I accept that human sacrifice probably did take place and was wondering if anyone could throw light on any historical evidence that exists to corroborate this practice.

regards
tjj

The difficulty is recognising the intention from the evidence , Lindow man has a few give aways but somebody who has had their throat cut then buried would eventually look a like a normal burial . Does suttee qualify as sacrifice ?, if so there are plenty pair burials whether it's a spouse accompanying the primary death or a slave ,who knows . Some pair burials also had stakes involved . Seems to have been a typical human practice for as long as we can tell.

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
24th October 2007ce
19:35

Messages in this topic: