The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Anglesey Forum Start a topic | Search
Anglesey
Re: Anglesey! folds up raleigh bikes!
12 messages
Select a forum:
U-Sweetie,
1.I’m glad to have elicited your most articulate response since you joined this site, though I perversely admit to laughing at yours and avu’s dribble and quibble in secret, but keep this between you and me.
2.the farmers…hope they weren’t too dangerous – the thing that pisses me off this year is to see them taking advantage of the foot’n’mouth situation to keep the paths closed. Anglesey’s farmers are reputedly fierce anti-ramblers too.
3.well, alignments happen but I would not suggest they happen all the time – the ancients were mystical landscape revolutionaries but the tribes were not all uniform so I presume there are cases of standing stones being family-based/tribal standing stones with no alignment support anywhere else, though communities were all too important for this not to happen too often.
4.yes, the book is of course NOT the whole scene, just the most comprehensive attempt at including the best of the best in a perfect symphony of colour, poetry and images and it DID cope!
There’s not a hundred stones more to be found on the fair isles, there’s perhaps a few tens of thousands more:
Consider this: 1000 known tombs, 40,000 barrows, 900 standing stones and circles and, if you delve into the iron age, 2500 known hillforts.
We ourselves will only see a tiny percentage and it may well take up our lifetime, but the numbers repeat themselves in France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, etc showing the vast extent and the enormous importance their ancient faith and mysticism had in (pre)-European culture, something which has always been arrogantly dismissed by post-christians and bigots when, in fact… it makes up our most Ur-iginal Spirituality. And, in today's conformist globalised sociological nincompoop-controlled ideologies, dismissed, as telepathine says, as 'odd' people doing 'odd' things.
5. kinky boots? Your getting closer…
6.send those pictures pronto, tonto and I may send you a scanned copy of me in grovelling mood amidst passage grave-ity glow. I say ‘may’ cos I am off soon to a curious landscape of natural standing stones with weird shapes – this is freaking me out as the Ur-religious gorsedd-like natural aspect of the whole area is so evident and eerie that it has of late become an obsession round here.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Annexus Quam
22nd July 2001ce
10:03

Messages in this topic: