The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ridley Common Forum Start a topic | Search
Ridley Common
Re: Jingling Well
17 messages
Select a forum:
Eyup Rhiannon,

I could waffle for hours about the area around those crags. I went past Jingling Well, it's smack bang in the middle of an bit of landscape that has blown my imagination into overdrive.

If you look on the OSmap you can see Jingling Well has those things that indicate rock outcrop. It's at the bottom of a little cliff on the edge of the path that connects a whole panoply of prehistoric remains. I think it appears out of one of the steppe like features, there are all sorts of strange things going on with the water tables in the vicinity. The Whin Sill has made the underlying rocks fold, bump and wiggle into some odd cofigurations. In some places, it's dry at the bottom of a ridge, and boggy as hell at the top.

I didn't hear it jingling, as I didn't linger, being keen to investigate further along the path, but there is another stream nearby that makes a noise like it's heard the phrase 'babbling brook' and thought " Sod babbling, I'm gonna be more coherent than that".

It's going to take me ages to make any sense of all the stuff I saw around there. The area is also dripping with folkore you may be interested in. I'll bung some up here some point soon.

BTW, did you notice that the prehistoric stuff that continues on the other side of the map? Why are good bits always at the edges of a map?

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
19th February 2005ce
20:36

In reply to:

Jingling Well (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Jingling Well (goffik)

Messages in this topic: