The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Browne's Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Browne's Hill
Re: Nice lights
12 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks guys :)

A few cars slowed down passing the carpark all right! I'm sure it looked like a laser light disco with the flash going off and light beams eminating from the old stones!

The photo was fairly straight forward and hasnt had much tinkering with except to sharpen it a tad, I use a Nikon D70 and a Nikon SB600 flash which doesnt need wires to trigger it remotely. I set the flash on a tripod off camera to the right, set the camera manually to F4.5 (I usually use F8 cos its the sharpest aperture for most of my lenses but it was a very dark evening) and 10 seconds. I used the 10 second timer to open the shutter, this triggered the remote flash to light up the front of the stones. Then I went inside to shine the torch around for about 3 seconds to cast shadows around.

You could do this with any camera that can be set manually, instead of using the flash triggered from the camera you could just hold it and fire it manually then go inside to shine the torch around. If you set the time for about 15-20 seconds (needs to be pretty dark at this speed) you would have plenty of time to do this if you plan it right.

The trick for lighting rock art is to use the torch at the tighest possible angle to the rock face, so it just catches the front surface. Depending on the depth and direction of the carving you can move the torch around but pointing it straight down so the main beam lights the ground just in front of the rock usually works well. What you want to do is cast shadows in the shallow carving so just shining a torch straight at the rock wont give very good results.

To see some examples of this technique check out my rock art gallery here: http://cianmcliam.smugmug.com/gallery/347643

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
11th February 2005ce
14:46

In reply to:

Re: Nice lights (Hob)

1 reply:

Re: Nice lights (swanvesta)

Messages in this topic: