The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newgrange Forum Start a topic | Search
Newgrange
Re: Front Door
9 messages
Select a forum:
>>I'd wanted to look at the back of the entrancestone on the way out (I'm fairly sure it's just natural) but I was over the steps and halfway to the bus stop before I thought "Oh, wait a minute, I was going to....." by which time of course it was far too late!

The back of the entrance stone is not carved as you had thought, though interestingly enough O'Kelly's report did say there seemed to be a mark on the back of the entrance stone just opposite the doorway, when they placed the door stone into the closed position and leaned it back to the entrance stone it rested in this groove.

They also found worn scratches on the top of the first passage roof stone in front of the roof box, one quartz slab was found which covered roughly half the roof box opening and a missing stone presumably closed the roof box on the other side as it too had scratches where a stone had been pushed and pulled back repeatedly to open and close the roof box.

Obviously the 'tomb' was used repeatedly, whether to make observations of the solstice or to warm the cockles of the dead is the question! (Or fertilise the 'womb' of the earth, the explanation of choice of the guide we had last time, you pays your money and takes your theory...)

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
6th September 2005ce
23:19

In reply to:

Re: Front Door (Rune)

1 reply:

Re: Front Door (Rune)

Messages in this topic: