The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: Is this/was this a real site?
21 messages
Select a forum:
> I feel dirty writing about this stuff. I'm off to wash my hands in a Lady Macbeth sort of style!

LOL!

I can (rather belatedly) confirm that this is a modern circle within the defences of Aberystwyth Castle. I walk past this pretty regularly, and never miss the opportunity to swear under my breath at the ignorant Victorians who put it there, spoiling what would otherwise be quite a pleasant inner-bailey.

> No disrespect meant to those who say modern circles are a good thing, but I totally and utterly disagree with you (and you're all nuts!). They're nasty crass things, usually clumsily executed with little or no regard for how prehistoric the circles are put together.

Heh! Nuts? I'll hold me hands up to that one... ;o) You're right, though. I just thought the <i>idea</i> of people still creating them was nice. The one I mentioned (Steel summat or other) was in a book I saw, and it looked *genuine* enough, but I certainly would NEVER go out of my way to visit it. Not my bag. I just like the idea of the tradition continuing... Especially to the extent of, in the case of that particular one, the bkloke that built it took 10 yaers to align them to the solstices due to cloudy skies! Bless... That's dedication for ya. Except he used a JCB...

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
17th January 2005ce
15:33

Messages in this topic: