The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: Is this/was this a real site?
21 messages
Select a forum:
I can (rather belatedly) confirm that this is a modern circle within the defences of Aberystwyth Castle. I walk past this pretty regularly, and never miss the opportunity to swear under my breath at the ignorant Victorians who put it there, spoiling what would otherwise be quite a pleasant inner-bailey.

No disrespect meant to those who say modern circles are a good thing, but I totally and utterly disagree with you (and you're all nuts!). They're nasty crass things, usually clumsily executed with little or no regard for how prehistoric the circles are put together. As far the implication that Welsh identity is somehow entwined with megalithic culture and the Druids... I'd better not go into that.

Those of you who love this sort of modern guff will be interested to know that each stone in the Aberystwyth circle comes from a different Welsh county.

I feel dirty writing about this stuff. I'm off to wash my hands in a Lady Macbeth sort of style!

K x

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
17th January 2005ce
15:27

In reply to:

Is this/was this a real site? (suave harv)

2 replies:

Re: Is this/was this a real site? (goffik)
Erratum (Kammer)

Messages in this topic: