The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Car Park Post Holes Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge Car Park Post Holes
Re: stonehenge mesolithic post holes
40 messages
Select a forum:
Yes, that is interesting and rings true. Components of the underlying (pre-existing) landscape draw active human attention as places of non-utilitarian specialness, then, within social development, the cultural significance changes, presumably multiple times, perhaps with dormant phases, being re-worked again and again as the landscape is repeatedly transformed, with diverse and largely unknowable threads of continuity through the changes. My suspicion also is that visionary experiences such as the appearance of earthlights might play a part in determining the initial location of sacred sites, at least in some cases. This idea first arose in my mind on seeing an astonishing, fluctuating (in fact seething) ball of rainbow light in the Black Mountains a few years ago, as I mentioned in the recent forum discussion on orbs at Avebury. Such a sight (the Black Mountains light) could easily be interpreted as the presence or effect of a god or goddess. I really must have that photo scanned and send it to Mod.Ant: there is some thoughtful reflection and discussion happening through this website. Contributions on this one moved on to Thornborough, which was an education for me. Thanks to everyone concerned, and in particular to Moss, Fourwinds and smallblueplanet for sharing interesting thoughts.

Treeman

Reply | with quote
Posted by Treeman
28th December 2004ce
05:12

In reply to:

Re: stonehenge mesolithic post holes (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: