The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Car Park Post Holes Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge Car Park Post Holes
Re: stonehenge mesolithic post holes
40 messages
Select a forum:
At Thornborough on Nosterfield quarry were discovered a double alignment of large pits. No evidence of posts was discovered and very little dateable evidence except in one of the pits in the initial fill where some Meso flints. Off hand I think there were up to 30 pits in all. In addition, one other pit next to the double alignment had Meso flint in its lowest fill.

This was proudly proclaimed by Tarmac in March at the Thornborough Conference. The previous Novemeber we had asked Tarmac if it was possible to delay destroying these until further work could be done (we did not know about the Meso stuff but since the two alignments appeared to head off in the direction of the Northern Henge they appeared important to us hams. The response was to bulldoze the lot within days, the area was not actually quarrried for another six months.

As I understand it, neither the County Archaeologist or EH were informed of these until after they were destroyed, although there have been some discrepancies between the County Archaeologists statements and reality. I certainly informed him at the time when we were concerned, as with EH, they both suggested that these were ME boundary markers.

Of course now that they are gone, everybody wants more archaeology done to prove them.

Doubtful if the Thornborough Meso pits will ever hit the official record books in my opinion.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
26th December 2004ce
18:03

1 reply:

Re: stonehenge mesolithic post holes (smallblueplanet)

Messages in this topic: