The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sess Kilgreen Forum Start a topic | Search
Sess Kilgreen
Re: Cattle and rock art don't mix
17 messages
Select a forum:
Wasn't there a series of links regarding Irish RA degradation? They seemed to be saying that the acid rain was a factor, but not a massive one.

I've been wondering about that for a bit. When I look at some of the old stone walls that are next to busy roads in my town, it's plainly evident how quickly sandstone can vanish, but it seems fairly localised to the first couple of feet above street level, where the exhaust fumes are thickest during rush hour.

I reckon if the lichen can still grow, it can't be acid rain dissolving the rock art, as the lichen would surely go first, I thought it is supposed to be hyper sensitive to that kind of thing.

Given that a fair bit has already gone, and the rest will presumably go, maybe a cast should be made of the carvings, to preserve an idea of what's left.

It's sad.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
15th November 2004ce
09:23

In reply to:

Re: Cattle and rock art don't mix (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: