The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
11 messages
Select a forum:
There's a good swimming hole at Eals, under the footbridge near Whitwham, and what looks like a small Four-poster in the field directly above it beside the main road. I see it off the bus when I go that way. But I'll not be there till next May. I was taught walling in Lambley by an old man - '75.

There are mounds in Knarsdale that aren't on the SMR yet. We call them soil, or soil-cased, but I suppose they were turf. The owner of Amos Hill knows me only too well - that is the advantage of a fresh face. The farmers there hate visitors and resent the public footpaths being used - think League of Gentlemen - and I'm speculating this great mound has chambers and a closed off entrance but it is within shouting distance of this man's farmhouse. Any activity there will affect them deeply. It's maybe worth someone new sneaking around to see what the 'front' of the barrow looks like - does it have the remains of a facade, and so on. At the least this could help me record it for the SMR accurately.

I only make about two tonnes of CO2 a year - you'll be pouring out eight times that amount, at least. Perhaps the real place to start in the South Tyne Valley is at the Kirkhaugh circle. (But then I'll pester you to help me 'maintain' it). It starts with a strimmer maybe and explaining to that farmer (think Dukes of Hazzard) how precious those half-buried stones in three fields are ...

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
13th November 2004ce
07:50

In reply to:

Soil (Hob)

Messages in this topic: