The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: WKLB to Close?
61 messages
Select a forum:
Something written by Clair Prout of Save Our Ancient Sites....

"Back in October '95 a Wiltshire local paper printed a story about the National Trust (NT) employing security guards to ensure that visitors to West Kennet long barrow behaved 'properly'. This was necessary, we were told, because of increasing damage to the barrow. West Kennet long barrow is a favourite monument of mine and I was alarmed at the thought that security guards, too often uniformed thugs, would be able to turf me out of the barrow if they did not like the look of me, and that the ultimate in 'management' of such sites seems to be to put a fence around them and prevent people from wondering at the beauty and awesome engineering skills involved.

So I took a trip to the barrow to see the damage for myself. I left feeling that the best course of management would be to put an electric fence and a pack of Dobermans around it. "

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
11th November 2004ce
12:59

In reply to:

WKLB to Close? (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: