The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: WKLB to Close?
61 messages
Select a forum:
Very nice indeed, you intrepid Moth you. Remoteness increases spookyness.

Heading vaguely back in the direction of on-topic, when you think of all this disrespecting of WKLB, it's nowt compared to the graffitti carved into some of the Orcadian tombs. Unstan is dripping with initials carved by Victorians. Not to mention Vikings.

Whilst I can see the point that this adds to the texture of the monuments, I can't help but feel that entropy is capable of doing a damn good job of trashing old stones all on it's own. Hence whatever can be done to halt it should be done. The arguments in favour of placing monuments in aspic verus the arguments in favour of using them as contemporary spaces for ritual activity both have aspects that appeal to me. In order to try and come down from the fence, I tried to think of what I'd say to a BA dude who was in the process of building a triple henge alignment over the top of an old cursus. I ended up deciding that I'd ask them if they could think of a way to place the henge without trashing the cursus. That way the future rolls onwards, but the past is still present. Eh? Urghle? I know what I mean. It just doesn't look that way.

Ahh, Orkney! It's so much nicer there, the past still is so much part of the present.

<Shambles off mumbling>

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
10th November 2004ce
00:14

In reply to:

Re: WKLB to Close? (Moth)

1 reply:

Re: WKLB to Close? (Moth)

Messages in this topic: