The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Grimsay Wheelhouse Forum Start a topic | Search
Grimsay Wheelhouse
Re: Bagh nam Feadag structures
7 messages
Select a forum:
I have just recently completed an M.Phil thesis on this structure and can provide those who wish with a cd of it. Contact email below. To calrify, nothing does appear on canmore because very little information about it survives as it was excavated relativley recently - between c.1993 and 1997 and not by any archaeologists. An amateur opened up a the mound and excavated it single handed. The name Bagh nam Feadag probably came about becasue all wheelhouses in the uists tend to have at least two names, one in english and one in Gaelic. Some people refer to it as the Grimsay Wheelhouse. I think the SMR simply took the nearest topographic feature which is the Feadag bay just to the northeast. Currently only one wheelhosue is known in the island of grimsay, but I believe the mound to the north west (20m away) contains another wheelhouse. There is another mound nearby , however, this is a bit too small. The wheelhouse has been modifed to a large extent, and there is a quetion of rebuilding by the excavator. Underlying the wheelhouse is another round structure, which is probably and earlier wheelhouse or a complex roundhouse of some sort. Inside the main house to the left of the entrance a secondary strucutre was inserted but has been largely removed by the excavator. A two phased rectangular building has been attached to the south of the mound which produced some east coast gritty ware of late 12th - 13th century date. There is also a small round shieling on top of the mound, and two other buildings built into the side of the mound. Basically, on and off settlement from the mid iron age to 17th century (beofre the 1880 first edition map was made, and before reid's map of 1799). The entire filed has a lot of features in it which I can provide information on also. Details of the artefact collection can also be found in my thesis/archive. Although I have not been working for HS or anybody (I am Post grad at University of Glasgow), the archive will be deposited with the Stornoway SMR and I will also offer it to the Royal Commision/Canmore. Hopefully something will be published also. Contact: Alasdair [email protected]

Reply | with quote
Posted by erchie
23rd October 2004ce
16:12

In reply to:

Name change required ? (wideford)

Messages in this topic: