The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Grimsay Wheelhouse Forum Start a topic | Search
Grimsay Wheelhouse
Re: Name change required ?
7 messages
Select a forum:
>> I see that it is above an area of sand called Bagh nam Feadag, after the plovers, and wondered if this name could be used in order to avoid possible confusion with similar structures in the Grimsay area ?

Fair point but TMA headline names tend to use the well kown or "popular" version where alternatives exist eg "The Great X of Kilmartin" not "Nether Largie Standing stones".

It may be stretching the point to apply this to a site where so little has been published and there is no "official" name. However, the "Lost Wheelhouses ... " publication I mentioned refers throughout to the "Grimsay wheelhouse" so anyone coming across this and looking for more information would be likely to search on that name.

I've added Bagh nam Feadag as an alternative name.

>> Were there any walls of similar dimensions in the proximity of the wheelhouse ?

There were other walls at the site including what may be part of an earlier wheelhouse and a later shieling. With no detailed plan to follow, we didn't explore these much so can't really help you there. Sorry.

Reply | with quote
greywether
Posted by greywether
2nd October 2004ce
12:39

In reply to:

Name change required ? (wideford)

Messages in this topic: