The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castercliff Camp Forum Start a topic | Search
Castercliff Camp
Re: Whats this then?
10 messages
Select a forum:
Hi,
In relation to Castercliff, I actually completed a degree in Archaeology at Nottingham University back in 1995 and my honours dissertation was on Castercliff (I grew up near the site). The dissertation runs to about 18,000 words and includes all the written source data I could find (there was an excavation back in the early 70's by David Coombes of Manchester University and this was published in the Transactions of the Lancashire & Cheshire Archaeological Society) plus my own analysis of the Bronze Age and Iron Age sites in the area and Castercliff's place within this. There is a hard copy of the dissertation in the local studies section of Nelson Library (I gave it to them back in 1995 and I believe it's still there - someone quoted from it online so at least one person has looked at it!) - I've moved around a great deal and now live in London and I have misplaced my copy. Should you be in the library you may want to have a look at it - it's called 'Castercliff in Context' (I apologise in advance for any poor writing and blame the fact that I wrote it up very quickly in all-night sessions fuelled by coffee and spliffs, but I think on the whole it was reasonably good).
In respect of your identification of 'hut circles' on the site, these are all later coal mining workings (known as bell pits) - none are hut circles sadly. The excavations of the early 70's found no evidence for occupation, but futher work needs to be done. I suspect that your worked stone relates to activity on the site sometime in the last few hundred years, but I do hope I'm wrong and it is more ancient.
The ramparts are the key feature at the site and the evidence suggests the inner rampart was a timber-box construction with stone facing - I did do a couple of reconstruction drawings in my dissertation. There is also a plan of the site and some trench cross-sections which I took from the David Coombes excavations of the early 70's. These excavations produced no finds, but again further excavation at the site really needs to be done.

OK, hopefully this helps - if you have any other questions let me know through here or preferably email me - [email protected]
All the best and enjoy the site!

Regards,
Steve

Reply | with quote
Posted by stig of the damp
19th June 2006ce
09:21

In reply to:

Whats this then? (treehugger-uk)

Messages in this topic: