The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: Welsh cromlechs
35 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
[ .

revising my fieldnotes on cromlechs round St.David, one thing I did notice, I think of it as the fat 'diamond' shaped capstone, with one of the points to the front[/quote]

Any common denominators in features referenced or direction ?[/quote]

No, Coetan Arthur points up the valley, east presumably, Carn Llidi out to a small island seaward, Elvis away from the sea, there is no particular referencing in this instance
Some of the most interesting tombs listed in Nash are the four Morfa Bycham tombs, situated in a a rocky place above the beach. These are hidden, probably deliberately, within the tumble of rocks, a bit like the one on Carn Meini - Prescelli Mountains. The last one he mentions has a large capstone sitting low to the ground with at least 11 uprights. Excavated early in the 20th century, it still had loose cairn rubble as a covering... I have a feeling that most of the sub-megalithics were meant to blend in with the surrounding rocky area....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
29th May 2007ce
10:56

In reply to:

Re: Welsh cromlechs (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: