The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scholes Coppice Forum Start a topic | Search
Scholes Coppice
Re: Holistic Fraternity query
25 messages
Select a forum:
I still can't see any reason to think that Scholes was a henge.

This quote is from my webpage:

"Scholes Wood, hill-slope fort. This is an oval site of about 1 acre, It is protected by a bank and ditch and has an original entrance at the NE. The main bank rises 3ft. above the interior. The site is overlooked by higher ground NE, W and S. Date, c. 1st century BC - 1st century AD. : but some believe it is not prehistoric" Guide to Prehistoric England, Nicholas Thonas, 1960.

This is from Chris Cumberpatch:

"To my mind there is no evidence that the site is of Neolithic date (it certainly isn't a henge, or at least, not one of conventional form. My own opinion is that it is of later prehistoric date as the Roman pottery in the ditch would seem to suggest that it is not post-Roman in date (although the pottery could be residual).
Morphologically it does not seem to fit in with the LIA / Early Roma cropmark landscape and one could argue that it is of EIA or MIA date on these grounds, although this would be somewhat speculative."

The SMR agree with his description.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
14th August 2004ce
00:29

In reply to:

Re: Holistic Fraternity query (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: