The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wychbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Wychbury Hill
RE: Wychbury
37 messages
Select a forum:
I guess i was thinking about likely escape routes if the fort was stormed, in terms of the orientation of the ramparts. A lot of the hill forts were re occupied and refortified around 450 --550 AD to check the gradual English advance (i.e Cadbury Castle, Brent Knoll Hill et al). A ring fort in this geographical postion would have been a good rallying point against a serious incursion. Worcestershire is a rich farming area, and I guess they probably had enough organization civically, and enough to lose, to organize a pretty serious defence a la 1940 style! The "flavour" of the stories i heard as a boy about "the battle" (called Clatterbach??) was that the English broke in over near St. Kenelm's pass, and then won but with such slaughter that it was a "pyrhic" victory. My interest, which doesn't claim to be expert, and is speculative (and a bit romantic and fanciful, probably!) is more in the fort as it was when it was first constructed. I have a hunch that this had a lot to do with troubles from the west, as near Bridgnorth thereis another fort at Mose, clearly defending the shallow crossing of the Severn, overlooking Danesford (the Vikings never missed a trick either!). Anyway, i'm heartened to find others who are showing interest. I've written a few songs about some of the ideas. I'm always happy to meet up, especially in a good hostelry on a Summer evening!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Forrester
15th April 2005ce
11:26

In reply to:

RE: Wychbury (wychburyman)

2 replies:

RE: Wychbury (morfe)
RE: Wychbury (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: