The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple of Sulis Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple of Sulis
Re: Daytrip to Bath
17 messages
Select a forum:
Excellent! Thank you so much! I shall print these off and explore next time I'm in the area (which should be soon - I'd forgotten how much I love Bath!)

> You've been in the cheese shop? Perhaps we've inadvertantly met. I hope you're not one of those people that says "I'm having a dinner party and I don't really know what I want..." I'm only there on Saturdays thank god. It could be worse.

I'll only really be in there on a Saturday - I wonder if we have met? Next time I'm there, I'll wear my TMA badge quite clearly and draw attention to it ;o) I'll be the one asking "will I like that one?"

> It's funny you should ask about the abbey [...} I don't see why there shouldn't have been something indigenous before that. Though it would have been a bit soggy between the spring and the river?

Maybe, yes... It's just I've seen so many modern churches, etc built near or on top of wells, and we've all seen churches built on possible/probable ancient sites... the wells were very important to the ancients for all the obvious reasons and what better way to make 'em go to church than to build the bloomin thing on top of their sacred site? I'm not convinced by my own suggestion of a stone circle were the abbey is, but it was just to illustrate the connection between modern churches and ancient holy sites. Now who's waffling? I keep stopping and coming back to this so sorry if it's disjointed!

I have some (more) friends who live up your way that talk of a bubbling well - wonder if it's the "Rattling Well" you mentioned? I must ask where theirs is...

Have we had the "Bedfordshire" discussion before? Did you come from there? If so, I won't ask why you left. It's always obvious! ;o) Sorry - I hated it there...

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
4th August 2004ce
16:25

In reply to:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (suave harv)

Messages in this topic: