The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple of Sulis Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple of Sulis
Re: Daytrip to Bath
17 messages
Select a forum:
You've been in the cheese shop? Perhaps we've inadvertantly met. I hope you're not one of those people that says "I'm having a dinner party and I don't really know what I want..." I'm only there on Saturdays thank god. It could be worse.

It's funny you should ask about the abbey. I think that there is supposed to be another Roman temple under there. Like you say, not that we'll ever know. I always look at the abbey as rather a modern upstart but it's ok really. I don't see why there shouldn't have been something indigenous before that. Though it would have been a bit soggy between the spring and the river?

St Alphage's well is at ST 725 681. I keep wanting to write something up about all the things round [[Lansdown]] but it's more of a vague 'sacred landscape' thing and not solid and prehistoric. Maybe in a weblog some time.

The Conkwell is here ST 791626 - if you're feeling energetic you can walk up from the river along a wicked green lane. The lane and well are on the county boundary, I don't know if that has any significance.

St Mary's at Charlecombe is at ST 748673, that's the one with Jesus.

Also I've been to the Rattlespring at ST 673611 recently and that was great. A bit of a lesser known one now, but according to that book once much visited.

Anyway I'm waffling but if you're back some time those are good places to go.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
4th August 2004ce
16:10

In reply to:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (goffik)

Messages in this topic: