The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple of Sulis Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple of Sulis
Re: Daytrip to Bath
17 messages
Select a forum:
> I escaped back to Bedfordshire this weekend so I hope you didn't think I was ignoring your message.

Not at all! Hope you enjoyed Bedfordshire... Hahahahaaaaa!!! Oh, I'm sorry... I lived in Dunstable until I was 15, and make any excuse I possibly can to NOT ever go back there! ;o)

> So fortunately didn't have to go to the wretched cheese shop! which I am trying to escape for a saturday job at the library or something.

Oi! I love that cheese shop, I do! Do you work there then? Are you married? I love cheese, me...

> The baths are great, it's been done really well don't you think? The eggy taste of the water though leaves a bit to be desired. I think I'll just bathe in it thankyou.

I thought the baths were rather exquisite... The R*man stuff is mightily impressive, but it did leave me wondering what it all looked like before they trashed it... Was the abbey built after the baths? I thought that it might have been that the abbey was built cos it was a place of great (pre-R*man) religious importance due to the proximity of the spring. I am almost certainly stating the bleedin' obvious here, but I've done no research on the area at all, so am just guessin... What I mean is, was the abbey built on something much older (eg a stone circle) like so many other christian buildings... I doubt we'll ever know...

> Being sad I have marked many of the wells/springs on my OS map and am gradually getting round to visiting them.

Is that sad? Damn! Me too then! Except it's me Cornwall maps. There's a load marked already, but many, many more that aren't... I'd love to hear more (map refs, etc) if you get a mo!

> If you are back in the area there is a good one at Conkwell, all paved round. You have to crawl up to it and take the water in your left? hand and make a wish as you drink it. St Alphages had an excellent atmosphere (once I'd guiltily crawled under the barbed wire) though I couldn't really decide if there was this alleged coffin there or not. Also there is St Mary's which is below the oldest? church just outside Bath - that was festooned with ribbons and had a modern carving of Jesus (which to me looked like he was er making the water himself - funny but rather sacrilegious) and maybe a bit tacky. But quite cool.

I love all that. I think there's something special about finding the lesser known ones. Or the ones you feel the landowners would rather weren't there! I want to see the "jesus weeing" well! More sacrilege, vicar!

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
4th August 2004ce
15:14

In reply to:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: