The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple of Sulis Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple of Sulis
Re: Daytrip to Bath
17 messages
Select a forum:
> Biggest drug pub in Bath, probbly not the nicest nowadays for a day trip...

Hmm... Me ma-in-law might not have been too up for that..!

> Hatchets is nice for <u>vaguely weird types</u> or the Bell on Walcot Street.

So what exactly are you trying to say here? ;o)

> Hope you had a nice time Goff! We didn't leave the house all day, far too hot.

Coo - weren't it ever? We had a great time, thank you! We went to the R*man Baths, had a glass of the eggy water and one of the most expensive (but one of the most delicious) sarnies in The Pump House, and spent several hours wandering round the baths... Despite myself, I absolutely loved it! I get despondent with these places when they build all plasterboard reconstructions above what remains of the walls and that, covering most of it up, with "this is the site of..." signs when just seeing what remains would suit me... The fizzy spring is very nice indeed. I even liked the overflow bit! What is it with me and flowing water?

I know the R*mans knackered what was once somewhere of great significance to the ancients, and that saddens me, but it still carries an air of calm and peace about it. I read Rhiannon's notes before I left, and totally agree with the bit about it being really busy, yet strangely quiet. I could have sat by the pool all day...

The sacred spring had my attention for some time. I don't think people nowadays really realise what it is/was. How much more stuff is buried beneath Bath?

Didn't have time to see owt else as it was! Even too late for the cheese shop! Gah!

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
2nd August 2004ce
06:33

In reply to:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (pure joy)

1 reply:

Re: Daytrip to Bath (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: