The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Panorama Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Panorama Stone
Re: 'Ladder Markings'
9 messages
Select a forum:
I did some crayon rubbing on Sunday - it just came out a complete blur. I guess the rock must be fairly flat to get a good result. There are no forgeries in Rock Art just incorrect attributions. The ladders are original, I guess, based solely on the notion that decoration was, inevitably, influenced by the shape of fields and gardens around where the artisans worked. My experience of discovering a new motif in Rock Art is that nobody shows any interest in it at all - particularly if it's given a dafty name.

(note for Hob - Thunderballs, my email program is 'down'. As it's mainly delivering Spam I'm not rushing to update it. There is a strong stone circle site that needs ground-truthing - it's not a big one - that's near a public footpath and out of the gamekeepered zone. It just it's a peaceful, if windswept spot - NY675517 - near to the 290 metre marking on my decayed OS map. I'm camped at 511m. now - near a supine outlier. That needs a name too!)

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
20th July 2004ce
12:44

In reply to:

Re: 'Ladder Markings' (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: