The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Panorama Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Panorama Stone
Re: 'Ladder Markings'
9 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Rhiannon... I'd suggest approaching the story with caution until conclusive proof can be shown. Gavin Edwards is a good bloke and well respected for his work... but I have noticed that he's got a bit of a thing about disproving much of the more prominant rock art of Ilkley Moor as Victorian embelishments. He may well be right of course... Ilkley was a popular spa resort in Victorian times, but I've not been convinced myself yet.

The Panorama Stone carvings are VERY worn and the ladder motif isn't readily apparent until you make a rubbing of the rock. This could explain why they weren't mentioned in earlier reports. The rock only really came to prominence when it was moved to make way for the construction of the Panorama Reservoir in the 1890's.

Also, the Barmishaw Stone which is near the Badger Stone, also contains ladder motifs. This rock too is badly worn... n' I'd go as far to say that the ladders are integral to the design. Same at the Panorama Stone. If it is a fake, then it's a very good one.

I'll be interested to hear what GE has to say on the subject at the exhibition... but I think he's starting to develop bit of an obsession of debunking any rock art that stands out a little from the other designs in the area.

Maybe Gavin is just drumming up publicity for the exhibition?

Reply | with quote
Kozmik_Ken
Posted by Kozmik_Ken
20th July 2004ce
11:02

In reply to:

'Ladder Markings' (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: 'Ladder Markings' (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: