The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carreg y Bwci Forum Start a topic | Search
Carreg y Bwci
how old is Bu?
31 messages
Select a forum:
As I understand it European prehistory can be oversimplified into two broad exoduses: that of the Indo-Europeans from the east, the more recent of the two, and that of the Ur-Europeans northwards out of Africa. This is an oversimplification because its more accurate to talk about successive waves of colonisation from Africa - people have always moved north as the ice retreated, then retreated south as it once again advanced. But yes - in Basa Juan we have the Basque Bu, but what's really intruiging, and what suggests to me a VERY ancient (ie. Ur-European not Indo-European) origin for Bu is the face that in Morrocco Bu is known: Bou Jeloud, who is essentially a Pan figure, another horned god of the herds.

Bu is associated with underworld entrances - as the lore of the Bucca, the Hobs and the Hogboon reveals. This is suggestive, to me at least, of the ancestor cult, and since the worship of the ancestors is thought to be older than the worship of the gods this also speaks of Bu's extreme antiquity.

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
17th July 2004ce
19:42

In reply to:

Re: Bu (TomBo)

1 reply:

Re: how old is Bu? (Kozmik_Ken)

Messages in this topic: