The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carreg y Bwci Forum Start a topic | Search
Carreg y Bwci
Re: Rhiannon...
31 messages
Select a forum:
Bu names are everywhere:

"The Quaraing itself, so obviously the result of some great natural upheval, has been so often described, and its famous 'Needle Rock' so often photographed that further description seems unnecessary. But its atmosphere can never be captured. Perhaps it can best be summed up by saying that it is as if 'the terror that walketh in darkness' here walks by day.

There are, as far as I know, no particular legends or stories about the Quaraing... there is a singular dearth of legend. It seems almost as if something so horrible, or else so wicked, had taken place here that the survivors (if any) never dared to speak of it and so it blessedly passed from human memory. But the earth and the rocks remember.

I have been told by two men, both well accustomed to the loneliness of moor and mountain and both constitutionally incapable of believing in 'haunts' or seeing ghosts, that the Baca Ruach, the back of this same range of hills, which they visited at different times, gives just this same feeling of terror and of potent, living evil. All other Skye hills are friendly, but not the Baca Ruach. 'Anything might live there.'"

- Otto Swire, Skye: The Island and its Legends

Interesting to note that Storr, with it's horn-like rock formations, is a part of the Baca Ruach hills. I should also point out that Storr is more likely to be named for a deity called Tor (ie. Thor), although the word "Taurus" links him with Bu's bull.

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
17th July 2004ce
17:42

In reply to:

Rhiannon... (Kammer)

Messages in this topic: