The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carreg y Bwci Forum Start a topic | Search
31 messages
Select a forum:
Hey thanks for that Wideford (I thought you'd be the one to remember their name - Hogboon, of course). That's fascinating stuff - I am going to have to look into the huldu-folk before I can comment further, though. Just one remark for now:

"I don't reckon Puck would like being called a troll!"

I'm not so sure, Puck and his hordes are a tricksy, mischievous bunch, and their character is in many ways in-keeping with that of trolls. Like I say, though, I'm going to take a closer look at the huldu-folk.

If you're looking for Scando-Germanic goblins, of course, then the Kobolds are what you're after. They resemble the Bucca (cornwall) in a big way, and I have a theory that their name (like the word goblin itself) may originate in that of Bu. More research is needed, though, and given a bit of time I'll be able to say more.

A curious aside: folklore connects pretty much all of these goblins (although perhaps not the Hogboon?) with phenomenon that we would today label with the word "poltergeist".

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
17th July 2004ce
17:38

In reply to:

Re: Rhiannon... (wideford)

1 reply:

boggins (TomBo)

Messages in this topic: