The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cahercommaun Forum Start a topic | Search
21 messages
Select a forum:
"'Caherdoon' which means 'stone fort stone fort'"

Bit like all those Knock Hills.

Some brochs are named "Dun", I think. Although I must admit that I don't know much about Brochs. But there's one on the Northern tip of Lewis called Dun Eistean, said to be the ancestral home of the Morrison clan.

Durham used to be called Dunholme which, if memory serves, is said to mean "the fort on the bend in the river". I wonder, though, what with the legends about Saint Cuthbert and the dun coloured cow. One thing seems very clear to me - and that's that the hill that now has Durham cathedral on it was of huge significance to the area's prehistoric population. I understand that there's some prehistoric stones to be seen in the Monk's Dormitory there, although I've never been because you have to pay to go in there and until recently I thought there was nothing but Christian stuff to be found there.

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
19th July 2004ce
07:31

In reply to:

Re: 3 questions (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: dun (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: