The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Little Round Table Forum Start a topic | Search
Little Round Table
Re: Stubob and Fitzcoraldo - henge detectives
5 messages
Select a forum:
Cheers Rhiannon.
We had a crackin' few days over there and turned up a few lovely sites.
Finding the remains of the henge was something that Stu and I had been trying to do for quite a while now.
We were working from the SMR and the bits and bobs of research that we'd turned up in the past.
The Little table lies on the banks of the Lowther in the next field south of King Arthurs Round Table.
The henge was destroyed when the Lowther Gatehouse and Earl Henry's Drive was built. The eastern bank has been lost to the River Lowther.

You're right, it's a fascinating landscape around there and judging by the amount of circles in the immediate area it obviously held a deep significance to our ancestors.
According to the SMR the henge was 92M in diameter so it was smaller than King Arthurs Round table.
There is a Stukely picture of the henge on the notice board at the site. I posted it in TMA. It's a bit confusing because the drawing shows no entrances but the geophysical summary mentions an entrance. I guess we'lll never know.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
2nd July 2004ce
11:38

Messages in this topic: