The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Advice - Travel times to Orkeney & Lewis?
39 messages
Select a forum:
I'd love a week or two in Lewis. . to get chance to get the 'feel' of the place. When I said there was 'nothing there' I was kind of talking about shops, pubs etc. I didn't make that clear. For the Antiquarian there is much there (did you read my theory about being able to see more stone circles at Callanish with the naked eye than any other place?)
I thought long and hard about my trip. I'm going to Avebury in a week or two. . and last month I was in Cork circle hunting. In my silly mind, I thought 'how great would it be to see Callanish & Brodgar this year too'. I knew I would get no rest, no time for beaches etc. . but the complete 'trip' would be such a mind-blower I couldn't resist. I'm self-employed, and with loss of earnings, I'd hate to think how much it's cost me. But I spent all day & night at Callanish, visited the three surrounding Callanish circles and spent two days with Brodgar, The Stones Of Stenness, Maes Howe & Skara Brae, and on the way up I saw Castlerigg & Long Meg.
The trip was greedy, indulgent but completely dizzy & groovy.
Later, I will return and appreciate all the things you talk of. And get back to Orkney, which is also a magical place.

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
20th July 2004ce
17:41

Messages in this topic: