The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Advice - Travel times to Orkeney & Lewis?
39 messages
Select a forum:
>Day Two - drive from Penrith to top of Scotland & catch ferry to Lewis. Stop at Lewis
>Day three-at Lewis, stop at night
>Day four- Day traveling to Orkney-stop in Orkney
>Day Five - Orkney
>Day six- drive home, with option to stop overnight somewhere on way back.

if it's any use, I had to drive down to Preston from just above Perth to meet a client earlier this year, and it took me around 4 and a half hours. Penrith to Perth is motorway or dual carriageway all the way. I can tell you where the speed cameras are too if you like! ;)

the A9 goes all the way from Perth to Inverness, and is about half and half dual carriageway and single carriageway. Perth to Inverness can be done in 2 hours when you're pushing it, but give yourself 2 and a half to 3 to take into account holiday traffic and hold-ups for accidents (it is the "notorious A9" after all!)

Inverness to Ullapool I think can be done in about an hour and a half, although I'm not sure as I was about 14 the last time I did it (I wasn't driving!)

if you want to e-mail me (stones @ andysweet.co.uk) I can recommend places worth stopping on the way for breaks, tea, potty-stops etc

getting from Ullapool to Scrabster takes you onto the proper windy roads, and as others have said, doing Lewis AND Orkney (besides being incredibly greedy!) will limit your time in both places. I'd suggest doing one of them, and taking a slightly meandering trip back down south to see some recumbents in Aberdeenshire, and perhaps even some sites in sunny Perthshire (Sweet Tours are available!)

Cheers
Andy S

Reply | with quote
BigSweetie
Posted by BigSweetie
17th June 2004ce
21:45

Messages in this topic: