The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlehowe Scar Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlehowe Scar
Re: the subjective experience of time passing
11 messages
Select a forum:
The female half of the Northumberland job-share archaeologists looked at that thing that I'd named Small Henge and said "that's not a henge". With a smirk as though she had a good idea of what it is really - a Long Mortuary Enclosure or a Cigar-shaped Enclosure, I hope - perhaps.

The male half was amazed that we could discern ninety degrees of a very large double (Cumbrian style ?) stone circle. He likened me to Margaret Curtis - as we said goodbye I wished I'd said 'that'll be forty five quid please' and then when I returned past where I'd left them - two hours later - I noticed they'd scratched away the turf from *another* carved stone with a great resemblance to the Black Stone. It's sister, say. I've not been back to look at this second stone for fear of giving the location of it away to the farmer - who is its legal owner, of course.

The archs. were loggging stuff with a GIS box and I don't know what, if anything, they've entered for it. As it's been buried the carvings are really 'fresh'. I did consider breaking this year's Knarsdale arch. discoveries at wwwuphoneorg, from an anonomous telephone box, but haven't yet. Have also found a little SW facing double stone row at Longpot Head. Tiny. Have also lost it again.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
15th June 2004ce
22:50

Messages in this topic: