The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Christian Church Service Held In Avebury Stones
48 messages
Select a forum:
Today we visited Avebury looking forward as ever to enjoying the tranquility of the place. As we entered the circle something didn't 'feel' right. The ususal air of mystery and awe had somehow dissapeared. Was it the weather? It was humid, hot and still... no. Was it the other members of the public wandering around enjoying the stones... no.

From the distance and unusal sound drifted across the road - a brass band none the less. Oooh look a handfasting ceremony... hang on when was the last time you saw a handfasting ceremony with a brass band; with old ladies in hats; with a PA system; with three members of the clergy covered in Christian crosses?

We trotted across the road to see more. Low and behold a full Christian service was being held. The "word of the Lord" being amplified for all to hear. The songs of praise filling the air in a congregation where Thora Hird would have fit in nicely. The PA being powered from cables chucked over the church wall and the clergy stating "We hope to make this an annual event".

Now is it me or are the Avebury Stones or any ancient sacred site a place for people to make up their own minds in peaceful contemplation about life the universe and everything? Are the Avebury Stones an extension of the Kingdom Of God? Should a Christian ceremony be held in a place sacred to pagan beliefs?

I think it is offensive for this to have happened. Maybe at the solstice the church would like to open its doors so we can help celebrate this celestial event in the way we wish in their sacred space. Not only is it crossing a boundary too far but the fact that the service was amplified meant it was in-escapable. Me and my companions left with a feeling of confusion and semi-violation.

Am I alone in this? I don't care what people choose to belive but I do object to having it amplified into my ears when I want to connect with an ancient sacred space on my own terms.

Rob Speight
Webmaster - The Noise Room
http://www.thenoiseroom.com

Reply | with quote
Posted by skywatcher
7th June 2004ce
00:41

Messages in this topic: