The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Dunrobin Forum Start a topic | Search
Dunrobin
Re: Recent Damage
6 messages
Select a forum:
summerlands wrote:
I've been trying to spot this stone each time I pass that way, but so far not been able to catch sight of it - it's not the easiest stratch of road to find somewhere to stop and a largish area it could be in. I'd like to see what kind of state it's currently in. It's not on the OS maps either is it? :-S Can't spot anything on Google Earth... Can anyone give me a pointer?

Okay Summerlands - a pointer!

Are the OS co-ordinates quoted on here correct for this stone? The ones listed here don't seem to tie in with the photos which appear to show the stone two fields further East at approx NC 863 012. The North pointing photo appears to look onto Big Barns (the roofs in the trees) and the fold of the hill in Dunrobin Wood. The other photos also place it further East than the co-ordinates shown here on TMA.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&[...]e1=NC854012&nwyw=1&form=LMLTCC

It would appear to be in the field just above the word "Baile" in "Baile na Cloiche" and much closer to the broch (Carn Liath).
I hope this might help you track this one down. It looks quite a small (and getting smaller...) stone and this field looks to be under barley so it could be well hidden till after the combine has done its work. Mibbe look in October when it's all just stubble.
Good Luck!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
30th August 2011ce
18:42

In reply to:

Re: Recent Damage (summerlands)

1 reply:

Re: Recent Damage (summerlands)

Messages in this topic: