The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire Rock Art Maps
4 messages
Select a forum:
I've produced a few maps to help as a guide to finding rock art in Airedale and Wharfedale. These were made by overlaying the maps from the WYAS West Yorkshire Rock Art book, over the OS maps for the areas (of course for personal use only n' not for publication!!).

It's not 100% accurate, as the WYAS maps are a little bit out in some cases... all I had to go on when scaling was to overlay the patterns of streams and water courses (the maps in the book have no roads or other points of reference), plus it's a little indiscriminate in listing weathered cup marks as man made cups.... but I've tried to be as accurate as possible n' road tested it while in Yorkshire the other week. Overall it's a pretty fair guide that puts you in the right area. Plus it lists loads of rock art that isn't on the OS maps.

I've produced a number of print resolution PDF maps (which you can print n' take out with you), which are quite effective when used with an OS map.

The areas covered are:

Rombald's Moor @ A3 = 2.8mb
Middleton Moor & Denton Moor @ A4 = 1.1mb
Baildon Moor @ A4 = 1.2mb
Askwith Moor, Snowden Carr & Weston Moor @ A4 = 1.1mb

Email me off list if you'd like copies, but be prepared for some pretty hefty emails (had to keep the resolution up so they would print out at a good quality).

Reply | with quote
Kozmik_Ken
Posted by Kozmik_Ken
26th April 2004ce
15:02

2 replies:

Re: West Yorkshire Rock Art Maps (juamei)
Calling Paulus (Kozmik_Ken)

Messages in this topic: