The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Oakbank Crannog Forum Start a topic | Search
Oakbank Crannog
Re: Time Team - Iron Age lake dwelling - 9pm - ...
25 messages
Select a forum:
No, no, I am still building in the Roundhouse tradition - believe me ! And I'm still shieling - I'm the last in the country. I pretend not to look after the sheep (and say I'm a cowman) but I do look out for the woolly jumpers. Their tenacity is also mine. (And no, I don't find them attractive).

I have found what I think is the best Bronze Age roundhouse in the UK - trouble is I can't get back there without setting the gamekeepers off and the only photograph is a barely focussed snapshot. The centre of it has a gentle mound and I know this is decayed roof material. It is on the SMR and I placed it here in the Three Pikes site but I may have deleted it. When the Right To Roam comes into force I'll get back there - I'd love to see it properly excavated. (There's bad blood between me and Clive due to one of his sponsors whom I consider irretrievably 'bent' - allegedly).

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
20th April 2004ce
13:50

Messages in this topic: