The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Calling BG (and BN)
16 messages
Select a forum:
I went to a conference in Cardiff earlier in the year entitled Monumentality in the Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age Britain, where a guy called Peter Rogers talked about a new type of site he's identified in the Lake District. It made me think of you BG, 'cos Peter isn't an academic. He just found these sites by doing a lot of walking, and knowing the landscape like the back of his hand.

Peter has found a large number of these 'ring monuments' which are un-paralleled anywhere else (allegedly). He's now had the recognition of the academics, but it must have been quite a leap for him to get taken seriously, given that what he found was so atypical. The monuments aren't clearly defined like stone circles or even cairns, and seem to incorporate natural boulders. It's early days, and nobody really knows much about them (wish I had taken better notes now).

You'd probably have found these new monuments interesting, because of the way they were discovered, but also for what they are. BrigantesNation was there, and he's probably got a better recollection of what they consisted of. You out there BN?

K x

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
5th April 2004ce
12:15

In reply to:

Re: Calling BG (BlueGloves)

1 reply:

Re: Calling BG (and BN) (BrigantesNation)

Messages in this topic: