The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Winterbourne Bassett Forum Start a topic | Search
Winterbourne Bassett
Re: Cheers! n/t
10 messages
Select a forum:
re the picture- is that Silbury in the bckground, in the center? I know Stukeley's drawings are often 'open to interpretation'. but I have a feeling this dosen't depict Winterbourne Basset.
On page 73 of the Stukeley Illustrated book, there's a 'Millbarow at Monkton', I wonder if that's the same circle as the picture you sent me? Perhaps not, as you can't see Silbury from Winterbourne Monkton.
It's intruiging. I wish I could read the writing underneath the picture.
And actually, looking at the Winterboune Basset drawing, given the placement of the circle in regards to Silbury, if you hadn't have told me it was Winterbourne Basstet I'd have bet a weeks wages that it was a drawing of the Sanctuary. . look at the famous 'prospect of the temple' picture, the hills in the background. Almost identical.
Think of that drawing as an 'imagined landscape' of the sanctuary in megalithic times. It works.
Interesting!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
7th February 2004ce
01:06

In reply to:

Cheers! n/t (Pete G)

1 reply:

Re: Cheers! n/t (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: