The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: ". . . . a surge of power from a circ...
40 messages
Select a forum:
I hadn't given any thought to energy from tectonic strain before, but I'll have a go:

The forces involved are potentially collossal so it's certainly conceivable that many kinds of energy could be generated. Sound and heat are the most obvious, but considerable Piezo voltages could also be created in small localised regions and might discharge as small sparks. I'm not aware of any evidence to suggest that the Piezo effect works with non-crystalline substances, so it's unlikely that this effect would operate on any kind of scale larger than individual crystals.

Frictional forces can generate huge voltages (do you remember the Van Der Graff generator or the Wimshurst machine from school?), but this would imply that there was earthquake activity too.

I doubt whether tectonic forces and temperatures are sufficient to cause any nuclear energies to be released, but they might be able to create photons from materials with photoluminescent properties.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Any other ideas, anyone?

Reply | with quote
Steve Gray
Posted by Steve Gray
15th January 2004ce
11:54

Messages in this topic: