The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
The Stone Man of Avebury & the Argonauts!
8 messages
Select a forum:
Made me usual yuletime trip to Avebury last Saturday. And, as usual, I've come back with more questions than answers. . . .

1) The newly found stones. The people in the Barn and the Keiller museum weren't able to tell me where they were found, (a nice lady in the Barn gave me a press release though, the same one they printed in the Independent).
The chatty bloke in the brik-a-brak shop opposite the Red Lion said they found 17 stones buried (I thought there were 15!) around the North Inner circle (around the cove). He said "come back in 6 months and I'll give you a map of them". He also called himself the 'stone man of Avebury'.

2) The Red Lion. It's had a lick of paint. There's a fantastic well in one room, how long has that been on display? I assume it's the same water that runs outside the schoolhouse? And does the pub still have its silly 'lock in' rule for b&brs? (Wish the New Inn was closer!)

3) The 'inner' south circle, the one around the obelisk. I'm confused. There is a definite straight line of stones & markers there now, and some modern depictions of the circle (like the one on the tinted glass on the barn museum door) clearly show the straight line. Almost like a capital D than a circle. Yet all the old drawn maps show only circles. I wonder why?

4) Jason and The Argonauts . . is that a great film or what? I'm watching it now on a scratchy old video. Fookin' great! (well it *is* Xmas). I wonder what Ray Harryhousen (sp) thinks of Lord Of The Rings?
------

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
30th December 2003ce
19:45

Messages in this topic: