The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ashlar Chair Forum Start a topic | Search
Ashlar Chair
Re: F.A.O. Ken
9 messages
Select a forum:
>Does the local rock have natural shallow hollows in it?

Well - there's an awful lot of weathered rock on Ilkley Moor and many bowls and cups that could be natural, enhanced or fashioned from scratch. If you compare the Hangingstones bowls to the natural weathered bowls on the Cow n' Calf Rocks pics I've posted today...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/21024

...you can see a marked difference. I believe that the Hangingstones bowls are fashioned or enhanced in someway... especially as it is thought that much of this rock surface was overgrown by heather until the area was quarried in Victorian times. The outcrop itself only just narrowly escaped quarrying when a local Hydrotherapist noticed them and appealed to Squire Middleton to halt the quarrying.

Also, natural bowls in the area tend to form at the edge of outcrops or at the high points of erratic boulders, whereas these are well setback from the area where you'd normally expect weathering to form them. I also found a stone bearing what could be both natural AND fashioned cups on Woofa Bank, which I'll post soon when I've completed my fieldnotes.

>Either way, their proximity to the rock art gives them importance.

Looks like a good bet to me.

>Do you have a good source for the Pendle Witches factoid?

My source is Paul Bennett's excellent book 'Old Stones of Elmet' (Capall Bann). He has done an awful lot of research into the area and believes that they also met at the nearby Twelve Apostles stone circle. Medieval Masons (The Grand Lodge of All England) are known to have used features on the moor for moots (there are quite a few masonic symbols carved into stones on the moors) and a local 14thC landowner William Hawksworth (the nearby Hawksworth Moor is named after his family) is known to have got up to allsorts of masonic and magical tricks up there... including erecting a large standing stone at the Grubstones. The local Magistrates ordered him to move the stone onto his own land, which he did when he erected it at the nearby Great Skirtful of Stones - where it remains today (pics coming soon). Masonic activity in the area was reported as continuing into the 17th/18thC at least.

Reply | with quote
Kozmik_Ken
Posted by Kozmik_Ken
5th November 2003ce
13:15

In reply to:

Re: F.A.O. Ken (FourWinds)

2 replies:

Re: F.A.O. Ken (David Raven)
Re: F.A.O. Ken (Chris Collyer)

Messages in this topic: