The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Lake District Rambles
11 messages
Select a forum:
Yep, nice weblog Fitz. I’d never really considered the connection between lakes and lack of circles in Cumbria before and I can’t think of any circles off the top of my head that do overlook lakes. Obviously there are sea-views like Druid’s Circle, Greycroft and Lacra but I suppose that’s a different matter.

>pecking was part of the ritual of creating the art

I’ll buy that one too, and the idea that the act of pecking or grinding a cup was as important as the final result. When I was thinking about how you would make a cup a little while back I was thinking about how repeated simple actions can lead to trance states. If you had a small depression in a rock then repeatedly twisted a harder stone round in it for a long period, it might lead to such a state. Even more if you actually held the stone still in your hand and rotated yourself round the larger rock – it would make you dizzy if nothing else! Reminded me of those drinking games people play where you spin round a stick then stagger off in crazy directions. We know why that happens, but would they have known that back then? OK, maybe it’s a bit far fetched but the Whirling Dervishes still do the spinning thing to induce trance or spiritual states…

-Chris

Reply | with quote
Chris Collyer
Posted by Chris Collyer
4th September 2003ce
22:39

In reply to:

Lake District Rambles (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: