The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Penshaw Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Penshaw Hill
Meets & stuff
34 messages
Select a forum:
Dunno about another meet this year, but I guess we'd better make it soon in the hope of getting decent weather if we do. There was vague talk about a more northern one. (Also the Hampshire one.)

Nigelswift mentioned he'd like to come if we had a meet, depending on where it was. I'd been wondering about Derbyshire - which I guess wouldn't be right good for you though. Or maybe Wales - equally difficult for everyone except Kammer (LOL!)

'Mrs Goffik (no relation) reckons it's "Haad yer whack"!'

Is that a direct translation though? Does 'whack' actually mean 'mouth'? Or is it less literal and just mean 'hold your noise' or 'SHUT UP!'

"In my home dialect (born Luton) it would be "Shut yer f**kin trap"! So the song got away with it lightly if you ask me."

My home dialect would be similar (born Chatham, Kent). Except 'f**kin' would be 'fa**in'.

I've always liked 'pie-hole' as a synonym for gob.

"Well - looks like this place has chilled quite a lot after last week's temperature tantrum!"

You mean the trolls have cleared off for the mo - for good if we're lucky!

"Isn't there a temperature that, in America, they reckon the murder rate goes up? Thank whatever gods you like for TMA! "Better than murdering someone" should be the catchline. In the nicest possible way."

92 degrees F, I believe.

love

Moth

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
18th August 2003ce
20:46

In reply to:

Re: Geordie v English (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: Meets & stuff (nigelswift)